Thursday, November 14, 2013

Razzleberry Mittens

The colors for this week's ColourQ challenge caught my eye.  I had previously pulled out my Make a Mitten stamp set to use for a card and it was sitting on my desk, so when I saw the color challenge, I knew the warm rich colors were just perfect for a fall sweater-type look.  Of course, sometimes the vision in my head doesn't always come out easily.  I refuse to admit how long I spent on this card.  It looks simple and we'll just leave it at that.  :)

http://colourq.blogspot.com/2013/11/colourq-challenge-215.html
photo linked


I used the knit heart border in all four colors directly on my white card base to create a knitted sweater-style background.  I stamped the lines border on a piece of Rich Razzleberry cardstock.  The border strip was created with layers of Pumpkin Pie, Bravo Burgundy, and Crushed Curry cardstock that were distressed along the edges.  A small motif from the Make a Mitten set was also stamped using Crushed Curry ink.

I stamped the mittens in Rich Razzleberry ink and then cut them out.  I added a short piece of natural twine to mimic old-fashioned mittens attached by a cord.  I remember having a pair of those when I was a kid!  I stamped my sentiment in black on a white circle, added faux stitching lines with a Crushed Curry marker, and then placed the mittens using pop-dots for dimension.  The whole thing was matted with a Crushed Curry circle and then raised up just slightly by adding extra layers of cardstock behind.  I wanted a little separation but not quite as much as pop-dots would add.

The weather here turned quite cold two days ago.  In fact, we had a short snow flurry!  My daughter was super excited.  Very wet snowflakes and no sticking, but still cool nonetheless.  We don't get snow often in North Carolina.  (except for the mountains, of course)  It makes me wonder if we are in for a harsh winter.  Only time will tell.  Either way, this card is a great way to send some warm winter wishes!

Stamps:  Make a Mitten (Stampin' Up); Glad Tidings (Verve)
Paper:  Bravo Burgundy, Pumpkin Pie, Rich Razzleberry, Crushed Curry (Stampin' Up); White (Papertrey Ink)
Ink:  Bravo Burgundy, Pumpkin Pie, Rich Razzleberry, Crushed Curry (Stampin' Up); Tuxedo Black (Memento)
Misc:  Standard Circles Large & Small dies (Spellbinders); Crushed Curry marker (Stampin' Up); solid natural twine (The Twinery); distress tool, pop-dots

4 comments:

  1. So pretty! It really puts me in mind of a cozy sweater! Thanks for joining us at colourQ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great winter card, Anna, I love the mittens, the embossing, and the lovely stamping. Thanks for joining in the fun at the colourQ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous design Anna, sweet mittens. Thank you so much for joining us at the colourQ this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card, love your background design and sweet mittens, thanks for joining us at ColourQ, hugs, Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it!