Thursday, January 16, 2014

Two Birds on a Fence

This week's TCP Tuesday challenge is to use paper piecing.  I almost feel like I'm cheating because there isn't a lot of it on this card.  Just those two adorable birdies.  But seriously, that paper print is perfect!


When flipping through my Cat's Pajamas stamps, these little birds from Warm Fuzzies caught my eye.  I immediately thought they would look so cute sitting on a fence and that's where this whole card started.  One little idea at a time.

I cut the fence using Close to Cocoa cardstock and a picket fence die.  It looked a little too pristine, so I crumpled it up to make it look weathered and sponged it a bit using the matching ink.  (I think next time I should use a darker brown.)  I cut three strips of grass using another die, two in front and one behind the fence.  If you look closely, you'll see a few grass blades poking through the fence slats.

I stamped the two birds on a print from the Nook & Pantry Basic Grey paper pad.  Love the color and subtle plaid.  It just makes me smile!  Once they were glued in place, I realized that there was too much empty sky and I needed something to fill the space.  I don't have a tree die, so I found a fun file in the Silhouette store and cut it out on my machine.  I was able to resize the file to exactly fit on my card!  Happy sigh.   :)

Hmmm...would the tree be considered paper piecing since I had to hand place each of those leaves?  lol  No matter.  The tree is exactly what I needed!  I decided I wanted some clouds too, so I cut them with a die and crumpled them up for texture.  Underneath, I selectively stamped the word "Hello" from a sentiment in the Reel Experts set.

This card was the perfect antidote to the cold, rainy weather we've been having around here.  I'm glad the sun finally came out so I could take a picture of it!  :)

Stamps:  Warm Fuzzies, Reel Experts (The Cat's Pajamas)
Paper:  Spring Rain (Papertrey Ink); Close to Cocoa, Chocolate Chip, Garden Green, Gumball Green (Stampin' Up); Nook & Pantry 6x6 pad (Basic Grey)
Ink:  Tuxedo Black (Memento); Close to Cocoa (Stampin' Up)
Misc:  Picket Fence die, Grassy Edges die, Fresh Cut Grass die (My Favorite Things); Echo Park Tree cut file (Silhouette); Clouds 1 & 2 die (Papertrey Ink)

3 comments:

  1. Well, I think those itty bitty paper pieced birds are just so cute sitting there on the fence! What is it about birds that is so appealing? Their petite sweetness? Their pretty songs? A darling, cheerful card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card makes me long for spring! Beautiful and sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it!